A touch of warmthPosted: October 2, 2011
We had our first fire in the wood-burning fireplace last night. With the temperature in the 40s and the dampness from the rain, it was a good way to warm things up without resorting to turning on the heat. It seems too early to be turning on the heat.
One of the things M and I were shopping for yesterday was an insert for our gas fireplace (located in the living room). As it stands now, the gas fireplace sucks the warm air out of the house without giving back much in the way of heat. It also produces a great deal of soot. It’s time for a change. The inserts we looked at will provide more heat, and draw the air for combustion from the outside rather than from the house. We’ll be leaving the wood-burning fireplace (in the basement) as it is for now.
One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet.
~ Odell Shepherd
This is another scheduled post. M the Younger and his lovely wife, Merdi, will be spending part of the day with us. The plan is to play board games and have fun inside since it’s supposed to rain for most of the day. I’ll be making a pumpkin hummus, butternut squash soup, and a vegetarian jambalaya. If we ask nicely, M (the Elder) will make some cornbread. It should be a fun day.
Thanks for visiting. I hope you’re having a fun filled Sunday, too. 🙂